Arroz Chaufa is a great way to use leftover rice and is a one-dish meal. Add leftover roast chicken, pork, sausages or just vegetables. It takes just a few minutes to prepare, once the vegetables have been chopped and the ingredients have been gathered.
“The fried rice was quick and easy and tasted great. I used one part sesame and one part safflower for the oil and added more soy sauce for flavour. Keep the soy sauce on hand for serving. If you have cooked rice and chicken in the fridge, this dish is quick enough to make any night of the week.” -Diana Rattray
Jasmine rice or medium-grain Chinese rice are excellent choices for fried rice. So, for that reason, this recipe is prepared with Carolina® White Rice which you can easily get here: https://carolinarice.com/recipes/arroz-chaufa/.
The Origin of Arroz Chaufa
Chaufa rice, also known as Arroz de chaufa, is a Chinese fried rice is a popular dish from Chinese cuisine that combines fried with a variety of vegetables, including spring onions, chicken, and eggs, cooked quickly over high heat, often in a wok with soy sauce and oil. The preparation came into the hands of Chinese immigrants in Peru, the culíes, Chinese workers in a state of semi-slavery, were the first to prepare chaufa rice with the leftovers of the main ingredients in restaurants.
Chicken chaufa rice is a Peruvian rice that is made with leftover white rice, eggs, chicken, peppers and onions. It gets a blended flavor of cumin, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, and ginger.
Peruvian rice is popular in Peru as the classic Chifa dish . It has many of the seasonings that are used in Chinese fried rice, but it is different because it has additional flavors such as ginger, cumin and pepper.
Chinese food is extremely well-liked in Peru, to the point where it has spawned a unique Chinese-Peruvian fusion dish called Chifa. Chifa is a cuisine based on Cantonese dishes to which Peruvian flavors have been added.
You can quickly prepare Peruvian fried rice if you’re wondering how to do it. Make it in a wok if you have one, but if not, a sizable frying pan will work just as well.
About this recipe
As mentioned before, chaufa rice is a fried rice that mixes different ingredients such as chicken, spring onions, egg, among others. So, if you are looking for new ways to prepare rice at home, you will love this recipe and you will be able to conquer the palate of everyone at home.
- In order to remove excess starch, make sure you rinse the rice thoroughly.
- Rice that has been thoroughly rinsed, cooked and then cooled for a few hours or overnight is ideal for fried rice. If you use freshly cooked rice, spread it out on a tray and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. If you’re not in a hurry, put the tray in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- This recipe works well with chicken breast, but it also works well with chicken thighs, steak or veal, shrimp, seafood, pork, or sausage. Your preferences will determine everything. Just make sure to cook your chosen protein before adding it to the stir-fried rice.
- 10 oz of cooked Carolina® White Rice.
- 17 oz chicken breast cut into cubes.
- 2 eggs.
- 3 oz red bell pepper.
- 1 Peruvian yellow chilli (optional).
- 2 stalks of Chinese onion or long onion.
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Pinch of ajinomoto.
- Soy sauce.
- Vegetable oil.
- Salt to taste.
Follow the steps below to prepare the delicious and incredible Arroz chaufa.
- Cut the Chinese onion, paprika, and yellow pepper into small cubes.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and in a small frying pan cook the eggs into an omelet.
- Cut the omelette into cubes.
- In a wok or large frying pan over high heat, add the oil and let it come to the point of smoking.
- Add the vegetables and chicken breast.
- Add a pinch of chilli and salt. Stir constantly with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- When the chicken is cooked, in 4-5 minutes, add the egg omelette and 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
- Add the rice and stir all ingredients well.
- Serve and enjoy your exquisite chaufa rice!