Table of Contents
If you’re concerned about ticks in your home or yard, there are a few tick prevention methods you can use to reduce the risk of an invasion. Ticks are often brought into homes on animals or clothing, so it’s important to take steps to keep them from entering your property in the first place.
With that said, here are a few helpful tick prevention tricks to minimize tick invasion.
Make Your Yard Less Appealing to Ticks
Ticks like to hang out in wooded or brushy areas, so making your yard less hospitable to them can go a long way in preventing them from taking up residence. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Keep the lawn trimmed short and remove any leaf litter, brush, and weeds.
- Stack wood neatly and in a dry area away from the house.
- Remove old furniture, mattresses, or trash from the yard.
- Fill in any rodent burrows, which can provide access for ticks.
- Create a barrier between your yard and woods or overgrown areas by clearing a wide swath of land and using wood chips or gravel.
Make sure that ticks aren’t comfortable around your home!
Make Your House Less Appealing to Ticks
Ticks can also find their way into your home, which makes dealing with ticks a lot harder. Here are more tick prevention methods:
- Seal any cracks and crevices around the outside of your home.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors and check that your windows close tightly.
- Repair any ripped screens on doors and windows.
- Keep the area around your home free of debris, leaf litter, and tall grass.
- Use a tick-proof barrier around your property, such as fencing.
Essentially, you want to keep ticks out as much a possible.
Inspect Yourself, Your Family, and Your Pets for Ticks
Even with the best tick prevention methods in place, it’s still possible to end up with ticks in your home. That’s why it’s important to routinely check yourself, your family members, and your pets for ticks after spending time outdoors.
Here are a few tips for checking for ticks:
Do a full-body check using a mirror, or have someone else help you check hard-to-see areas.
- Pay close attention to the hairline, behind the ears, under the arms, and in and around the groin.
- Check your clothing for ticks before coming inside.
- Put your clothes in the dryer on high heat for 10 minutes to kill any ticks that may be hiding in them.
- Shower as soon as possible after coming indoors to wash off any ticks that may be attached.
- Check your pets for ticks after they’ve been outdoors.
If you can’t seem to get rid of ticks on your own, call a tick control service.
Helpful Tips for Tick Prevention
As you can see, tick prevention requires an in-depth approach. But following these tick prevention methods can help reduce the risk of an infestation in your home or yard! As long as you’re diligent about preventing ticks, they won’t be much of a problem.
We hope these tips work out for you. If you’d like to read more content like this, be sure to check out more of our website. Have an awesome day.