Ceph Storage is open source software built to manage highly scalable storage, object, and block in one system. To manage storage, Ceph uses a special algorithm named CRUSH i.e. Controlled Application under Replicable Hashing, that makes it easier to not just store large volumes of data but also access it.
Ceph storage is a high performance tool that has a very high computing speed and works very well with Cloud based hosting. This article explores how this open source platform manages data redundancy.
Ceph Storage works with the help of Ceph Block Device that can be appended to Linux bare metal servers or VMs (virtual machines). This disk, also called as Reliable Autonomic Distributed Object Store (RADOS) can store information in blocks. To manage data redundancy, Ceph Storage also uses a unique file system, POSIX, that stores information in clusters. POSIX uses the same technology as Ceph block storage and stores a vast volume of data.
Key features of Ceph and why we need them
The main reason why we need Ceph is that it manages vast volumes of data easily. Let’s have a look at some of the main features of this storage solution.
1. Most organizations in the IT space cannot work with legacy systems and architecture. Almost every IT company or department uses several cloud platforms available in the market. Ceph storage architecture is also used by web hosting platforms to provide cloud hosting solutions for the websites. Ceph supports these organisations in storing their data and also accessing it quickly.
2. Scalable, Easy to Manage and Reliable- As organisations grow from being start-ups to being market leaders, they look out for platforms that can manage their growth. Ceph Storage is one such tool that is not just scalable and reliable but easy to manage as well. When you use Ceph, there is a very limited impact on your capital and operating expenditure.
3. Dynamic Storage- Very few platforms such as Ceph can manage data dynamically and in real time. The Object Storage Daemons of Ceph can balance the workload and rebalance the clusters. This is one feature that sets Ceph apart from other similar tools in the storage space.
Web professionals find Ceph Storage flexible and adding value to their work. It can work on any community hardware and there is no need for any specific vendor lock in. With Ceph around, you can choose any hardware. There are several advantages in having Ceph as a storage solution.
1. All data updates are visible to the user. In addition, these data updates are replicated and stored on separate disks and there is little risk of any data loss because of power outages.
2. Ceph can also spot any data failure or error at the right time.3. Ceph can also distribute and map data using Placement Groups or PGs. This data and replication capability has made Ceph a very good tool to manage data redundancy.