Google took the world of SEO and digital marketing with storm when it released its Panda, Penguin, Hummingbird, Pigeon, Possum, RankBrain, and Mobilegeddon. Years of efforts by online marketing teams took hits varying levels when these updates were released. When businesses, professionals, and individual bloggers realized the impact of these updates on their optimization efforts and bottom-line, everyone began looking for ways to deal with them.
Whether your search rankings were hit by any of these updates or not it pays to understand their importance and learn to keep up-to-date with them.
How Google Updates Affect Search Rankings?
Google algorithm updates can affect your search rankings in positive or negative ways. The different elements that get affected include the following:
- Search ranking
- Search visibility
- Organic search traffic
Algorithm updates shouldn’t be considered a form of punishment from the search giant. They can also be a form of reward for your website if you have optimized your site following best user experience (UX) practices. The goal behind Google’s algorithms is to deliver the best-possible answer to a user query.
While it is important that you have knowledge of each and every update that can affect your rankings, it can be almost impossible to keep track of all the Google SEO news. The fact that most people don’t know about is that Google is releasing new updates every now and then, but most of them are minor ones. It is the major ones that you should be looking for.
Keeping Track of Major Search Ranking Algorithm Updates
There are two key platforms that should keep you up-to-date with the latest, major Google search ranking algorithm updates.
- Google Webmaster Central Blog: This was Google’s official platform that was used more consistently in the past for dissemination of Google SEO news. All the major updates including Penguin, Panda, and Mobilegeddon were announced here. It is recommended to keep track of this blog to learn about changes in advance.
- Twitter: Twitter is an excellent platform for keeping up-to-date with Google SEO news. It is recommended to follow top Google executives in this regard.
Dealing with an Algorithm Update
While it helps to keep track of Google’s latest updates using these platforms, there are many times the search giant releases unannounced updates. Such algorithm changes are often announced after a week or two of the release.
If you get affected by such algorithm updates, you should take the following steps no matter how your search rankings and traffic have been affected:
- You should ensure that your rankings and/or traffic have been affected by the algorithm update and not some other factor
- Focus on collecting data and not taking any action in panic
- Check all the credible sources and experts providing information on Google SEO news
Get the help of your SEO specialists to make adjustments to your strategy, if required
If you have been following content and UX best practices, most of the time you may not have to do anything. Keep in mind that the current updates may be reversed or changed in a few weeks. So your immediate response to an update can prove to be ineffective after a few weeks. So you should react gradually to any algorithm updates.
The best-possible way to shield your website rankings and traffic from getting affected by Google algorithm updates is to follow Google’s best practices. Even if short-term updates affect your rankings, your website is going to benefit in the long term.