Table of Contents
One of the biggest pleasures in life is eating, but not everything you eat is exactly good for your body. There are so many delicious and unhealthy foods out there, it is practically impossible for people not to fall into temptation and eat them!
But what if there was a solution to such a problem? Well, you would probably be thinking about vegan or vegetarian food like vegan-style BBQ meatloaf.
Vegan-Style BBQ Meatloaf: give it a try
In the past few years, this cuisine style has become very famous and well-known all over the world, there are some who hate it and others who love it. But the truth is, it’s now part of our lives.
There are so many reasons why anyone should try eating healthier and start a vegan or vegetarian life, it seems unnecessary to mention them, but you should consider a vegan or vegetarian diet just because it brings way more benefits to your health than a meat-based diet.
Some restaurants offer you the same dish in two versions: the original version and the vegan version. For the vegan version they try to change the “bad” ingredients for healthier ones and attempt to create the same flavors, so you don’t notice any difference from the original dish.
How to make vegan brown rice BBQ meatloaf
Everyone, vegan or not, surely has a dish that takes you back to your childhood just by smelling it. It could be your grandmother’s food, your mother’s food, your favorite restaurant from when you were a kid, you name it. The thing is, for many people, that comfort food is none other than barbecued meatloaf.
BBQ meatloaf is a traditional dish from England that is originally from Scotland at the end of the 18th century, although there was an earlier version that had puff pastry instead of potatoes, a food that only the English began to eat at that time.
Accompanied by green beans, steamed broccoli, and fresh tomato slices, anyone could eat it to satiety, especially if it’s a bit cold and rainy. It’s clearly the ultimate comfort food.
It’s a simple dish, but there’s a vegan version of it made with lentils, which is as good as the original. If you are not a lover of this legume, do not worry, this dish will conquer you, I am sure. The texture is wonderful and the vegetables that accompany the lentils add a lot to the final result of the dish.
In addition, the dish is super tender and is very, very good, and it is necessary to say that it is very easy to prepare, what else do you need to know?
You must try it because it is an authentic delight, for real.
Below, you’ll find a simple and quick recipe to make your own vegan-style BBQ meatloaf. If you want to know more about this recipe, go to https://successrice.com/recipes/vegan-brown-rice-bbq-meatloaf/.
- 2 cups of cooked lentils.
- 7 oz. of Portobello mushrooms.
- 1 onion.
- 2 carrots.
- 1/2 green bell pepper.
- 1/2 red bell pepper.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 4-5 tablespoons of oat flour.
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
- 3 tablespoons of tomato concentrate.
- 3-4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley.
- 3 teaspoons of oregano.
- 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke or smoke flavoring (optional).
- Barbecue sauce or ketchup for basting.
- Black pepper.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- In a large frying pan, brown the finely chopped garlic with a dash of oil.
- Add the chopped onion and let it fry over medium/low heat.
- When the onion is translucent, add the chopped carrots and let them soften for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the peppers cut into small pieces.
- Turn up the heat a little and let the vegetables fry, stirring from time to time.
- When the vegetables are almost done, add the chopped mushrooms and let them reduce.
- Add the rinsed and drained lentils, the spices, the tomato concentrate, and the liquid smoke and leave for 5 minutes while mixing everything well.
- Turn off the heat and add the oat flour. Mix well and grind the dough with a blender.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and place it in a baking dish in the shape of a cake.
- Brush the top with ketchup or vegan barbecue sauce and bake at 180 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown on top.