Injuries often occur with no warning and can leave a person feeling stressed. When a slip and fall occurs, serious injuries can be left behind, including broken bones and brain injuries. Property owners are held accountable for keeping their property safe for visitors.
When such an accident occurs, injured victims need to be prepared for seeking compensation. There are some steps that need to be taken to ensure the injured victim’s rights and best interests are protected at all times.
5 Steps You Should Take After Injury
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, falls account for around 8-million emergency room visits each year. There are a few steps injured victims can take to make sure their rights are protected at all times. The following are five important steps that should not be ignored in the aftermath of a slip and fall accident.
1. It is imperative you seek medical care right away, even if you believe your injuries are not serious. One out of five falls causes serious injuries. Sometimes, internal injuries can occur without outer warning signs. Medical records are an important piece of evidence.
2. Injured victims need to make sure they get a list of any eyewitnesses to the slip and fall. Get their names and contact information in case they need to be called in as a witness.
3. It is also important the victim gets the name and contact information of the property owner. Any information that can be gathered is important.
4. Taking photos and videos at the scene and of the injuries can prove helpful in pursuing a personal injury claim.
5. It is wise for an injured victim to seek a consultation with an injury lawyer as soon as possible. Injured victims can visit BillHurst.com for more information.
Protect Your Rights
Sometimes, slip and falls involve pursuing the property owner’s insurance company. Insurance adjusters are not always fair and will do their best to decrease the amount they pay out.
As an injured victim, you should never sign any documents or agree to a settlement without going over your rights and best interests with a lawyer.
Make sure you document everything in the process and keep careful notes. These will be useful if your case ends up going to court.
Know the Law
There are certain laws injured victims need to be aware of so they can make sure their rights are protected. In each state, there is a statute of limitations that must be followed. This limits the time the victim has to file a lawsuit. Waiting too long could cause a victim to forfeit their rights. Make sure you are aware of your state’s statute of limitations so you can stay on schedule while pursuing compensation.
Victims often feel revictimized as they go through the process of seeking fair compensation. Injured victims should never have to feel forced to settle for less than they deserve. If you have been injured because of the negligence of a property owner, it is your right to seek compensation.
With the above tips, you can work to make sure your rights are protected at all times and you are able to pursue a fair outcome. Do not settle for less than you deserve for your injuries and damages.